Why the Y for swim lessons?
We’ve been doing this for more than 100 years and we know how to do it right. We help students learn at their own pace, which builds confidence in and out of the water. Plus, our small class sizes (6:1 student/instructor ratio*) and flexible schedules are a hit with parents!
We have lessons year-round for anyone ages 6 months – senior citizens. First, find the lessons that are right for you, then register online. For questions, contact our Head Coach/Swim Instructor Coordinator – Nick Engfer, Nick.Engfer@scymca.org
Our swim class names have recently changed. If you were a… you’ll now register for
- Shrimp > Stage A (3 and younger, with parent)
- Perch > Stage B (3 and younger, with parent)
- Pike and Eel > Stage 1 (3 to 5 years old)
- Starfish and Ray > Stage 2 (4 to 6 years old)
- Polliwog > Stage 3 (6 to 8 years old)
- Guppy > Stage 4 (6 to 9 years old)
- Minnow and Fish > Stage 5 (8 to 12 years old, pending skill level)
- Stroke School > Stage 6 (9 and up, pending skill level)
*Does not apply to swim team or adult lessons (adult lessons are private only)
*Day of registrations will be accepted but MUST be approved by Head Coach/Swim Instructor Coordinator – Nick Engfer
Two Pools to Meet Your Needs
Our Lap Pool is a 8-lane by 25-yard competition pool. It’s excellent for kids ages 6 and up and ideal for classes, laps and activities.
Our Family Pool is a warm water pool great for all ages. Equipped with a water slide, current channel and other water features, we’ve created our very own indoor water park!
*Our pools are accessible for people of all abilities. Our Family Pool is a zero-depth entry pool and our Lap Pool is ADA Compliant with a chair lift.
Private & Semi-Private Swim Lessons
Our private and semi-private swim lessons allow you to customize your child’s aquatic learning in an exclusive setting.
- The Aquatics Director and the instructor have the right and ability to determine children’s swim level.
- Must be 3 years of age or up
- Lessons must be paid on or before day of lesson. Please bring receipt to the instructor.
- If you need to cancel a lesson, we require 24 hour notice (unless medical emergency), otherwise payment for lesson will be forfeited.
- Private swim lessons are not restricted to a set number of sessions.
- Observers may watch from the lobby but will not be allowed on the pool deck
Please call us at (320) 253-2664 or stop in at the Front Desk of the YMCA for more information including pricing.
If you are interested in private lessons geared towards training for triathlons, open water swimming, or competitive swimming, you can find more information HERE, or by contacting Aquatics Coordinator Nick at email@example.com