Why the Y
for swim lessons?
We’ve been doing this for more than 100 years and we know how to do it right. We help students learn at their own pace, which builds confidence in and out of the water. Plus, our small class sizes (6:1 student/instructor ratio*) and flexible schedules are a hit with parents!
We have lessons for anyone! First, find the lessons that are right for you, then register online. For questions, contact our Aquatics Director – Kaitlin Pohland, Kaitlin.Pohland@scymca.org.
Summer 2020 Swim Lessons:
- Swim lessons will be two-week daily sessions with classes Monday – Thursday.
- Sessions will begin July 6, July 20, August 2 and August 17.
Swim Lessons during COVID-19:
The St. Cloud Area Family YMCA has made a number of modifications to our Swim Lessons Policies and Procedures in order to comply with the latest recommendations from the CDC and Minnesota Department of Health.
- Parents will be allowed to escort their children onto the pool deck, but then will be asked to leave the pool area for the remainder of their child’s lesson.
- Students are asked to arrive in their swimsuit.
- Students will enter the pool area through the Family Locker Room.
- Students will be required to shower before entering the pool, however, the only shower available will be the one on the pool deck. Staff will assist students in showering.
- Bring your own towel.
- After lessons, students may use the pool shower again to rinse off. No other showers will be available.
- Parents should arrive back at the Y in time to pick up their children. Parents who feel comfortable doing so may pick up their children at the front door. You may also meet your child outside the Family Locker Room.
- Our pool follows all Minnesota State Codes regarding the amount of chlorine required to be in the water. Water in a well-maintained pool does kill the Coronavirus, however, our staff will be continuously cleaning surfaces to keep swimmers safe.
Our swim class names have recently changed. If you were a… you’ll now register for
- Shrimp > Stage A (3 and younger, with parent)
- Perch > Stage B (3 and younger, with parent)
- Pike and Eel > Stage 1 (3 to 5 years old)
- Starfish and Ray > Stage 2 (4 to 6 years old)
- Polliwog > Stage 3 (6 to 8 years old)
- Guppy > Stage 4 (6 to 9 years old)
- Minnow and Fish > Stage 5 (8 to 12 years old, pending skill level)
- Stroke School > Stage 6 (9 and up, pending skill level)
*Does not apply to swim team or adult lessons (adult lessons are private only)
*Day of registrations may be accepted but MUST be approved by Aquatics Director Kaitlin Pohland
Please call us at (320) 253-2664 or stop in at the Front Desk of the YMCA for more information including pricing.
If you are interested in private lessons geared towards training for triathlons, open water swimming, or competitive swimming, you can find more information HERE, or by contacting Aquatics Director – Kaitlin Pohland, Kaitlin.Pohland@scymca.org