Status: Part Time or Full Time
Reports to: Health Living Director
The Y community is seeking the ideal candidate that has a passion for Pilates and helping others improve their lives through health and fitness. We are looking for a professional Pilates instructor who is energetic, friendly, willing to learn, builds relationships with potential and existing clients, sell and leads dynamic classes.
Under the supervision of the Healthy Living Director, the Pilates instructor will assist with educating, teaching, and performing Pilates classes and private sessions. This is to include all forms, Mat, Reformer, Cadillac, and Chair. Trainer will assist with motivating and educating our fitness members at the St. Cloud Area Family YMCA. Skills and requirements consist of:
- Design safe and effective 1-hour Pilates training programs for individual clients, adapting to each person’s specific needs and abilities
- Design safe and effective 1-hour Pilates classes that provide a complete and comprehensive class for the member.
- Instruct members in the Pilates training principles, training procedures, and exercise techniques
- Teach members the proper and preferred use of all the Pilates equipment
- Promote Pilates Training through personal example and member interaction
- Help maintain a neat, clean and pleasant environment in the Pilates studio
- All other duties as assigned by the Healthy Living Director
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Provide Pilates instruction to include demo classes, group apparatus classes, private and semi-private training as scheduled by management
- Instruct clients using proper form and safe methods on a variety of equipment
- Visually inspect the equipment prior to the beginning of class to ensure equipment is in good working order and safe to use
- Responsible for studio tidiness and returning equipment to standards set by studio management
- Provide individual supervision and reinforcement during members’ training sessions
- Demonstrate excellent communication and customer service skills when dealing with clients, program participants and staff.
- Attend scheduled Pilates staff meetings and attend continuing education courses to stay current on Pilates education
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Experience in fitness instruction required.
- 150-500 hour comprehensive Pilates education (education to include; Mat, Reformer, Cadillac, and Chair). Additional apparatus training will be set as a plan to be completed while working at the YMCA.
- Bachelor’s degree in health and wellness field preferred, but not required
- Professional and effective communication skills
- Ability to work with adults from beginner to advanced levels of fitness experience
- Must have the physical, visual, and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- CPR/First Aid Certified within 30 days of hire
- Demonstrate anatomical knowledge and focus on safety
- Experience teaching 5 or more participants in an apparatus-based group class
- Willingness to evolve with new developments in the fitness industry, specifically Pilates
- Interpersonal communication skills required
- Trainer must abide by YMCA policies, procedures, and guidelines
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to speak and hear well enough to communicate well with others both one-to-one and in front of groups
- Ability to think and process information quickly, clearly and accurately.
- Strong reasoning ability: able to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, written or oral instructions; able to deal calmly and logically with problems and people, even under pressure
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, push, squat, sit, crouch, walk, kneel, twist, pull, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period and perform repetitive motions.
- Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind. Must possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor environment and well-being of members.
- Sufficient strength, agility, and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations (depending upon the programs).
Time Commitment: Part time or Full-time opportunity depending on experience. Hours will require days, nights, and weekends
Compensation Type: Hourly