Status: Part Time
Reports to: Head Swim Coach
Assistant Swim Coach will operate under the direction of the Head Swim Coach of the St. Cloud YMCA Gator Swim Team and in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Saint Cloud Area Family YMCA. Is responsible for assisting the Head Swim Coach with managing the YMCA/USA swim team in accordance with the rules and regulations set forth by YMCA of the USA, USA Swimming, and under the pool rules at the St. Cloud Area Family YMCA. The Assistant Swim Coach must role model the YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and work daily to develop personal and meaningful relationships with members, staff, and guests.
- Build meaningful relationships with members and participants; help members connect with one another and to the YMCA.
- Work daily to nurture the potential of youth and teens; help people improve their well-being; and provide opportunities for people to give back and support their neighbors.
- Promote the mission of the St. Cloud Area Family YMCA and core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility in all job-related functions.
- Lead practices of the group(s) given by the Head Coach with care and excitement.
- Ensure the safety of swimmers at the practice by following proper precautions and regulations.
- Give swimmers knowledge to understand and master stokes allowing for movement up through the swim team groups.
- Be on deck before swimmers begin practice, to greet swimmers and parents.
- Help set up and run swim meets as deemed necessary by the Head Coach.
- Communicate effectively with the Head Coach about daily practice procedures, emergencies, and information regarding swimmers and swim team wellbeing.
- Attend all team meeting, get together, as deemed necessary by the Head Coach.
- Provide corrective feedback that will enhance swimmers’ techniques.
- Maintain structure and discipline within a group setting, while encouraging and promoting student participation in as positive manner.
- Engage parents and cultivate relationships to create a collaborative swim team environment
- Conduct self in a professional, friendly, helpful, courteous and diplomatic manner.
- Follow YMCA policies and procedures; respond to emergency situations.
- Any additional tasks and/or duties as assigned by Aquatics Director/Head Coach.
- Must have a competitive swimming background.
- Must understand how children learn, while having the ability to communicate clearly and directly with them.
- Must have communication skills to communicate effectively and efficiently with the Head Coach, other YMCA staff, and the swim team parents.
- Must maintain certifications in Lifeguarding, CPR with AED and First Aid, or become certified within a reasonable amount of time of starting the job as well as complete all necessary courses to become USA Swimming Certified– including a background check.
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule to include mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device. The employee frequently is required to sit, reach and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 plus pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, push, squat, sit, crouch, walk, kneel, twist, pull, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, run, throw, swim, Climb ladders, walk, shovel snow, plow snow, have finger dexterity, grasp, talk, hear, have visual acuity, vocal projection and perform repetitive motions..
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
- Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind. Must possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor environment and well-being of members.
- Must be capable of working under pressure in a somewhat disruptive environment.
- May be required to sit, stand, or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time.
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations (depending upon the programs).
- Ability to travel locally to meetings.
$14.00 – $18.00/hour
Please submit a resume and any additional application materials to Ashley Netzloff, Human Resources Director, at email@example.com.