Camp Counselor (Summer Day Camp)
The position is responsible for providing leadership, ensuring safety of all participants and direct supervision of children in all planned activities.
- Provide a safe and healthy environment, both physically and mentally, to ensure the operation of a quality children’s program.
- Ensure children are aware of rules and daily schedule routines.
- Help write and implement a weekly schedule for your camp group.
- Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities may include crafts, games, swimming, sports, etc. This includes time spent on the bus.
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
- Communicate with parents about participant’s experiences and report concerns to Camp Leadership.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and whereabouts at all times.
- Help guide Junior Counselors and Camp Volunteers to have a deeper understanding of leadership and counseling skills.
- Attend all staff meetings and in-service trainings
- Must possess current CPR/First Aid/ AED licensing
- Must have at least one year of child care experience
- Must be at least the age of 18
- Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
- All counselors must be available for at least 11 out of the 12 weeks of the summer camp season. Applicants unable to guarantee at least 11 weeks may not be considered for a position with the St. Cloud Area Family YMCA Summer Day Camp.
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work up to 40 hours weekly
- May be required to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. in various forms.
- May be required to sit, stand, or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time.
- Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind. Must possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor environment and children’s well-being.
- Must be capable of working under pressure in a somewhat disruptive environment
- $9.65 and up based on experience
- Other benefits outlined by our personnel membership policy
To apply, email Carolyne at firstname.lastname@example.org